Countdown to Christmas!
What with Christmas shopping, work parties and meeting up with family and friends December can often feel like a time when we overindulge and think less about our health. Try following these simple tips to help you have a happy and healthy Christmas this year…
- Being more active during the festive season can help you work off any extra calories! Try a 20 minute brisk walk on your lunch break or first thing in the morning. It will help you feel more energetic too.
- If you’re hosting a buffet or party offer your guests some healthy options. Have a look at our Healthy Christmas tips for some ideas!
- Try not to head out to a party on an empty stomach. You’re more likely to choose unhealthy options and if you drink alcohol it will hit you harder.
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with water or a ‘mocktail’ (non-alcohol cocktail). You will feel so much fresher the next morning and reduce the risk of damage to your liver. Try this recipe for a non-alcoholic Nojito.
- The build up to Christmas can be stressful causing us to slip back into unhealthy habits. Take some time out to relax, spend time with friends or go for a stroll in the park.
- Sometimes the pressure to have a “perfect Christmas” can cause extra stress or disappointment when it’s all over. Take it one step at a time and enjoy the day for what it is.
- Some people will be spending Christmas alone this year. Think about your friends and neighbours if they live alone. Christmas is the perfect time to reach out to people who may be lonely and isolated.
If you are concerned about how much you are drinking or were just interested to see how healthy you are, you can visit the websites below to take an interactive test.