What is a healthy diet?
A balanced diet
Good food is essential to good health, whatever age you are. Eating a balanced diet will not only keep you healthy but also reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke and some cancers.
A healthy, balanced diet contains a variety of foods, including:
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Plenty of starchy foods such as wholegrain bread, pasta and rice
- Some protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, eggs and lentils
- Some dairy foods
It should also be low in fat (especially saturated fat), salt and sugar.
The Eatwell Guide shows the different types of food we need to eat – and in what proportions – to have a well balanced and healthy diet.
- Base meals on starchy foods
- Eat more fruit and vegetables
- Eat more fish
- Cut down on fats and sugar
- Cut down on salt
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat breakfast
Pregnant or have a child under the age of four? You may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk. If you are eligible, you'll be sent a Health Start card with money on it that you can use in some UK shops. Visit the Healthy Start website for more information.