Ready to quit
Congratulations, you have made a decision to become a non-smoker!
The first few weeks after quitting smoking can be tough: you may be experiencing withdrawal symptoms, following unfamiliar routines, or managing stress and social situations without cigarettes. But now is the time to put your quit plan and preparations into action!
During the first week
- Keep busy and get plenty of fresh air
- Avoid triggers by finding a different regular routine
- Keep telling yourself, I can do it!
- Remind yourself why you're quitting
- If you're using a vape or nicotine replacement therapy to help you stay smoke free, make sure you have it with you.
- Don't forget there's support when you need it, download the NHS Quit Smoking app or sign up for NHS Smokefree email support.
See our Staying quit page for tips on remaining smokefree once you've successfully quit.